- 600: Windmills used in Iran.
- 850: Triangular sails used in the Mediterranean.
- 900: Collar harness and horseshoes are common in Europe.
- 980s: Canal pound locks used in China.
- 1000: Waterwheels are widespread in Europe.
- 1040: Gunpowder in China.
- 1088: Su Song's Clock
- 1100: The English long bow is developed.
- 1150: Beginnings of cathedral building in Europe.
- 1200: Inca system of roads are begun.
- 1280: The canon is developed in China.
- 1300: Gunpowder and cannons are introduced to Europe.
- 1327: Beijing-Hangzhou Grand Canal is completed.
- 1400: Draft horse is used in Europe.
- 1400: Windmills are used for drainage in the Netherlands.
- 1400: Blastfurnaces are used in the Rhine region.
- 1550: Large fulled-rigged sailingships with guns are used in Western Europe.
- 1600: Ball bearings are developed in Western Europe.
This chronology based on: Vaclav Smil, Energy in World History (Boulder, CO; Westview Press, 1994) pp. 259-267.
Copyright 1996-1999 by David W. Koeller. All rights reserved.